0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Virat Kohli

India cricket team skipper Virat Kohli, on Monday (June 11), praised his footballing counterpart Sunil Chhetri and congratulated the national football team after the 2-0 win over Kenya in an Intercontinental Cup final on Sunday (June 10) night.

DfWIrxvVQAEvEw2.jpg

India had a dream start to the final as they took the lead in only the eighth minute. The deadlock was broken when Anirudh Thapa delivered a low horizontal ball from a free-kick and Chhetri came back off the line to slot the ball for the first time.

Just before the half-hour mark, India extended their lead with Chhetri was once again the scorer.

Anas lofted a long ball and Chhetri, between Jockins Atudo and Michael Kibwage, beat the offside trap, controlled the ball with a brilliant first touch and found the back of the net with a brilliant left-footer.

Kenya tried to force their way back in but India held on to go into the break with a 2-0 lead.

The two goals also helped Chhetri equal Lionel Messi’s international goal tally of 64. Chhetri is now the joint second-highest international goal scorer among active players.

The African country started the second half in an aggressive manner, looking to force their way back into the game.

Kenya attacked consistently, but they were kept at bay by custodian Gurpreet Singh Sandhu’s diving and breath-taking saves. India held on to register a famous win.

FT: @chetrisunil11's brace leads #India to a 2-0 win over Kenya in the Hero Intercontinental Cup Final as #India are crowned CHAMPIONS! #INDvKEN #WeAreIndia #BackTheBlue #AsianDream

— Indian Football Team (@IndianFootball) June 10, 2018

The Blue Tigers have been garnering praise from all over for the stunning win and Kohli also left a congratulatory message for them.

The 29-year Virat Kohli old took to his Twitter handle – to lavish praise on the team. Kohli also said that the monumental win would provide the much-needed boost for Indian football.

“Champions!!!! Another stellar performance from our captain @chetrisunil11 and the entire team last night. This will surely provide a much needed boost for @IndianFootball. Keep up the spirit boys. ??,” Kohli wrote.

Champions!!!! Another stellar performance from our captain @chetrisunil11 and the entire team last night. This will surely provide a much needed boost for @IndianFootball. Keep up the spirit boys. ?? #INDvKEN

— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) June 11, 2018

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Mitchell McClenaghan, Cameron Green and Dhruv Jurel

While the whole cricketing fraternity appreciated the throw from Virat Kohli which led to Dhruv Jurel's run-out, Mitchell McClenaghan had other thoughts.

The former Mumbai Indians pacer could not figure out why was Dhruv Jurel given out in the run-out attempt that was completed by Cameron Green. People have divided opinions on this particular matter with some saying that Jurel was legally out while others, including Mitchell McClenaghan, feel that the decision was unfair.

What did Mitchell McClenaghan say about the run-out decision?

Mitchell McClenaghan, a part of the expert panel team of ESPNcricinfo, was very critical about the 3rd Umpire's verdict on Dhruv Jurel's run-out. So much so that he had to bring out the rulebook and display it to the people who thought that Jurel's dismissal was legal, it was a crucial moment in the match which also displayed Virat Kohli's supreme fitness and athleticism.

‘Held’ is to ‘Hold’ something https://t.co/KqXEI4lNTt pic.twitter.com/oe3ZrsggTc

— Mitchell McClenaghan (@Mitch_Savage) May 22, 2024

That particular moment of the game was a true game changer as it had given RCB narrow hopes to stage a comeback in the match. By then, it was looking as if Bengaluru would not be able to win the game as Rajasthan were quite ahead of them.

In the 1st ball of the 14th over, Riyan Parag had struck the ball towards the leg side where Virat Kohli sprinted towards, picked the ball, and threw it with all his strength. Dhruv Jurel, who was at the other end, ran as fast as he could but wasn't able to get back inside the crease at the right time.

From the very first look, it had looked like Virat Kohli had got rid of Dhruv Jurel with that throw but Cameron Green's contact with the stumps was questioned. The ball had appeared to be slipping out of the hands of the Australian while he was trying to dislodge the bails.

The call was pretty much 50-50 but the 3rd Umpire decided to give the decision in RCB and Virat Kohli's favor. That created a massive stir on social media with many wondering if the run-out was clean enough to be given out. Mitchell McClenaghan was also among those who believed that it was not out. He brought up the rulebook in his tweet on X as well.

Mitchell McClenaghan questioned the rule-makers by writing, "Always thought you had to have the ball held in your hand to cause a runout… have the rules changed? #RRvRCB."

He would then highlight the run-out rules by underlining article 29.2.1.5 of breaking the wicket fairly. The rule stated that a run-out is legal when a fielder has got hold of the ball when breaking or removing the stumps. "By a fielder with his hand or arm, providing that the ball is held in the hand or hands so used, or in the hand of the arm so used."

McClenaghan says RCB should be proud of their efforts

After slamming the Umpire for giving the decision in RCB's favor, Mitch McClenaghan, in another tweet, stated that Bengaluru should be proud.

For what they did this season, for finding a great coach, for finding retentions in the form of Will Jacks, Rajat Patidar, Cameron Green, and Yash Dayal if possible. "Can’t be displeased with the future outlook going into the next cycle." - McClenaghan wrote.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Intercontinental Cup India vs Kenya

The Indian football team scripted history and won the Intercontinental Cup final by defeating Kenya by a 2-0 margin.

It was an impressive performance by India all through the tournament. In the final, they weren’t at their best but still managed to win it by a 2-0 margin. They played a counter-attacking brand of football which gave them two goals all with the help of none other than Sunil Chhetri.

Despite the scoreline, Kenya was the better team in the attacks they got. They dominated ball possession but never managed to get the much-needed goal.

Despite their constant efforts, India managed to hold on to the lead, as they headed back to the pavilion at the end of the 1st​ half. Chhetri who has been quite brilliant all through the tournament continued his impressive run and scored two fantastic goals.

Kenya came to all guns blazing in the 2nd​ half. They started on the attack right from the word go and hardly allowed India to get the ball in their half. Attacks came on a consistent basis for Kenya. However, they never managed to get the much-needed breakthrough which would have created a sense of panic in the Indian team.

Chhetri-1.jpg

Also Read: Sachin Tendulkar Congratulates the Indian Football Team for Their Brilliant Victory in the Intercontinental Cup Final

Despite the sloppy piece of football, India managed to hold on to their lead when the whistle got blown for the last time in the match.

It is indeed a great achievement for Indian football, as they move forward in their bid to scale greater heights. Sunil Chhetri became the 2nd​ highest goal-scorer among current players in the world joining the Argentine great Lionel Messi. Only Cristiano Ronaldo is ahead of Messi and Chhetri.

There were several moments in the match when Chhetri was livid with his teammates. But in the end, he was in all smiles, as he celebrated the victory in unison with the crowd.

Following their brilliant victory, former Indian opener and known as the “Nawab of Najafgarh”, Virender Sehwag congratulated India and Sunil Chhetri on a terrific performance.

Sehwag’s message to the Indian football team,

“Thank you @chetrisunil11 for giving the country so much to cherish. You were inspirational, and I am sure this #IntercontinentalCup victory will help in ensuring that you guys play in a jam-packed stadium. Congratulations @IndianFootball #INDvKEN,” Sehwag wrote on his twitter handle.

Thank you @chetrisunil11 for giving the country so much to cherish. You were inspirational and I am sure this #IntercontinentalCup victory will help in ensuring that you guys play in a jam packed stadium . Congratulations @IndianFootball #INDvKEN pic.twitter.com/WADgZEd5rl

— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) June 10, 2018

Sunil.jpeg

Also Read: India vs Afghanistan: Rain Threat Looms Large Over One-off Test in Bengaluru

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
default-featured-image.jpeg

Team India registered a sensational 2-0 over Kenya to lift the Intercontinental Cup. Yeah when we hear about Team India, we always think about the cricket team. However this time around, the other Men in Blue have also made us proud by producing a magnificent performance against the Kenyans to win the title. It is indeed a big step for Indian football going into the future. They have improved by leaps and bounds in the last year or so and has made an entry to the Top 100 after several decades.

It was yet another masterpiece by Inulin Chettri as he scored both the goals in India’s victory. He played a different level of football and the difference was for everyone to see. Chhetri gave India the advantage in the 29th​ minute. Despite the scoreline, the match was much different from what it was on paper. The Kenyans played some good brand of football. However, India made advantage of the counter-attacks and scored two goals.

Chhetri-1.jpg

Also Read: India vs Afghanistan: Rain Threat Looms Large Over One-off Test in Bengaluru

It was largely possible due to great efforts from Sunil Chhetri. He joined Lionel Messi as the 2nd​ highest goal scorer among the current players in the world. No 1 in the list is Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo. Despite India going into the halfway stage with a 2-0 victory, Kenya went on the attack from the word go in the 2nd​ half.

They got chances after chances but failed to convert any of them. India played scratchy football but somehow managed to hold on to their lead. Most of the 2nd​ half was dominated by Kenya. Hence most of the time when cameras focused Chhetri he was seen shouting at his defenders. Despite the ordinary showing towards later, India held to their 2-0 lead and the sole credit goes to Chhetri.

Chhetri-and-Tendulkar.jpg

Following their victory, the former Indian great Sachin Tendulkar congratulated them on a brilliant victory. Taking to his twitter handle he wrote, “Splendid performance from the #MenInBlue. Keep it up, @chetrisunil11 and the @IndianFootball team. You guys totally deserved this victory. Our support will always continue to be with you. #INDvKEN.”

Splendid performance from the #MenInBlue. Keep it up, @chetrisunil11 and the @IndianFootball team. You guys totally deserved this victory. Our support will always continue to be with you. #INDvKEN pic.twitter.com/JxKYVlF8Ej

— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) June 10, 2018

Also Read: Virat Kohli And Anushka Sharma’s Latest Post is Too Cute

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
AB de Villiers and MS Dhoni

Former South African captain AB de Villiers stated that MS Dhoni should continue as Chennai Super Kings (CSK) captain if he's in the team. AB de Villiers had previously said that MS Dhoni stepping down as captain of the Chennai Super Kings was a "huge mistake" before the start of the IPL 2024.

MS Dhoni stepped down from the captaincy and passed it to Ruturaj Gaikwad before the IPL 2024 opener. However, the Super Kings failed to advance to the playoffs under Gaikwad's leadership. The Chennai-based team secured seven wins and suffered as many losses in the prestigious T20 tournament.

The Ruturaj Gaikwad-led team entered the season as defending champions. CSK showcased dominance at home by winning five out of seven matches. However, they struggled to replicate their success in away games. They were eliminated after losing to the Royal Challengers Bengaluru in the final match.

He's Got A Very Bright Future - AB de Villiers

AB de Villiers emphasized that having MS Dhoni as an opposing captain is the most intimidating. De Villiers clarified that his earlier remark about it being a "mistake" was aimed more at the intimidation factor Dhoni brought to the game than being critical of Ruturaj Gaikwad's captaincy skills.

"I will only give you an honest answer if you're going to report it in the right way, yes, so I wouldn't say I called it a mistake. What I meant by that was with MS Dhoni around, playing against MS for so many years, that is the most intimidating sight to have him as an opposing captain," said de Villiers.

"They took away quite a bit of intimidation factor from CSK with not having him as captain. It's got nothing to do with Gaikwad’s captaincy. I actually think he's got a very bright future and he captained extremely well," he added.

In IPL 2022, Ravindra Jadeja was appointed as captain of CSK, succeeding MS Dhoni. However, the all-rounder stepped down from the captaincy after a series of defeats. Under Jadeja's leadership, CSK managed only two wins out of eight games in the IPL 2022. Dhoni resumed leadership mid-tournament.

It's Going To Be A Waste - AB de Villiers

The former RCB batter recalled CSK's decision to appoint Ravindra Jadeja as captain in 2022. De Villiers highlighted Dhoni's presence as captain for the team's success. He noted that CSK performed well in the IPL 2024, but they didn't qualify for the knockout stage.

"Just having MS around, I always felt like it's going to be a waste not having him as captain. They tried it before. It didn't work (when Jadeja was replaced mid-season). And unfortunately, this year, yes, you've got to look at the results. The majority of the games they played well, but at the end of the day they didn't qualify for the knockouts. It's definitely not because of Gaikwad's captaincy. I do, however, ever feel that when MS is around, he should be captain," De Villiers added.

MS Dhoni hasn't confirmed his participation in the Indian Premier League 2025 season. With the mega auction scheduled later this year, the World Cup-winning captain would make the final call on his future in the coming months.

Also read: Watch: Dinesh Karthik torn apart after RCB gets knocked out of IPL 2024, video confirms retirement

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction

Ireland and Scotland will face off in the 5th match of ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series 2024. In this article, we look at IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction Today Match, IRE vs SCO Dream11 Team Today, Playing 11s, and Pitch Report. Ireland will be facing off against Scotland for the second time in the ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series.

IRE vs SCO ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Match 5 Preview:

The fifth match of the ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series will feature Ireland facing off against Scotland at the Voorburg Cricket Club in The Hague on 23rd May at 2:30 PM IST.

Ireland has won one of their two matches and currently tops the points table. Conversely, Scotland has lost both of their matches and sits at the bottom of the table in the same group.

IRE vs SCO Head-to-Head Record:

Teams

Matches Won

Ireland

Scotland

IRE vs SCO ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Match 5 Weather & Pitch Report:

Temperature

10°C

Weather Forecast

Clear Sky

Pitch Behaviour

Batting-friendly

Best Suited To

Pace

Average 1st innings score

NA

Record of chasing teams:

Records

NA

Winning %

NA

IRE vs SCO ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Match 5 Squads:

Ireland Squad: Paul Stirling©, Andy Balbirnie, Lorcan Tucker(wk), Harry Tector, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Barry McCarthy, Fionn Hand, Ben White

Scotland Squad: Michael Jones, Gavin Main, Bradley Currie, Ollie Hairs, Charlie Tear, Richie Berrington©, Matthew Cross(wk), Michael Leask, Mark Watt, Chris Greaves, Chris Sole

IRE vs SCO Dream11 Fantasy Cricket Players Stats:

Player

Players Stats (last match)

Michael Leask

9 runs and 1 wicket

Mark Adair

NA

Harry Tector

NA

Lorcan Tucker

NA

Hot Picks for IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction and Fantasy Cricket Tips:

Captaincy Picks:

Mark Adair

Lorcan Tucker

Top Picks:

Michael Leask

Harry Tector

Budget Picks:

Bradley Currie

Richie Berrington

IRE vs SCO ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Match 5 Captain and Vice-captain Choices:

Captain

Mark Adair & Lorcan Tucker

Vice-Captain

Michael Leask & Harry Tector

IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction Team 1:

• Keeper – Lorcan Tucker, Mathew Cross
  • Batsmen – Richie Berrington, Harry Tector, Paul Stirling, Andy Balbirnie
  • All-rounders – Curtis Campher, Mark Adair (c), Mark Watt, Michael Leask (vc)
  • Bowlers – Barry McCarthy

IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction Team 2:

• Keeper – Lorcan Tucker (c)
  • Batsmen – Richie Berrington, Harry Tector (vc), Paul Stirling, Andy Balbirnie
  • All-rounders – Curtis Campher, Mark Adair, Mark Watt, Michael Leask
  • Bowlers – Barry McCarthy, Chris Sole

IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction Today Match 5 ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Players to Avoid:

Players

Dream11 Credits

Dream11 Points (Last match)

Oliver Hairs

7.5 credits

22 points

George Dockrell

7.5 credits

4 points

IRE vs SCO Dream11 Prediction Today Match 5 ECN Netherlands T20I Tri-Series Expert Advice:

SL Captaincy Choice

Mark Adair

GL Captaincy Choice

Lorcan Tucker

Punt Picks

Chris Sole and Mathew Cross

Dream11 Combination

2-4-4-1

Disclaimer: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
AB de Villier and Virat Kohli

India’s batting superstar Virat Kohli has had a phenomenal run as an opener for the Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) in the IPL 2024, where he is the leading run-scorer with 700+ runs. The dashing right-hander silenced his critics, who had questioned his approach against spinners and his strike rate with his fabulous batting display for the RCB in the tournament.

Kohli has amassed 741 runs at an impressive average of 61 and a stunning strike rate of 154 as an opener for the RCB in 15 matches in the lucrative T20 league. Despite this, Virat’s close friend and former RCB teammate, AB de Villiers, believes that the former Indian skipper should bat at number three in the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in the USA and Caribbean.

Virat Kohli’s opening heroics in IPL 2024 puts India in a strategic dilemma

With the T20 World Cup 2024 on the horizon, the Indian cricket team faces a strategic decision, as they already have a strong right-left opening combination of Rohit Sharma and Yashasvi Jaiswal. But there is speculation that Kohli might open for the Men in Blue at the mega event to accommodate the dynamic Suryakumar Yadav at number three.

This move can potentially sideline Jaiswal from the playing XI, but the former South African skipper believes that Kohli is most effective at number three, where he provides stability and leadership to the batting lineup and maintains calm and composure under pressure.

The Proteas batting legend further explained that there's too much risk in those first couple of overs to go with Kohli, so he is against the idea of opening the innings with the RCB opener at the upcoming T20 World Cup 2024, starting on June 1 with Team India beginning its campaign against Ireland on June 5 at New York.

The former RCB batter admitted that Kohli really loves opening, but according to him, the Indian batting maestro is most impactful at No. 3, where he is the best beast in the world. Notably, RCB was eliminated from the IPL 2024 after suffering a four-wicket loss to the Rajasthan Royals (RR) in the elimination game on May 22 in Ahmedabad.

Virat Kohli is a number three batsman: AB de Villiers

AB de Villiers told PTI in a select media interaction arranged by JioCinema: “I feel he's a number three batsman and that's where he's most impactful. He's almost like the captain of the batting team everywhere he goes. He keeps the calmness and the composure within the batting unit.”

The legendary batter further explained, “I know Virat himself really enjoys opening, which is great. You've got to respect that from a man who's played the game for many years. He understands his game really well and he understands what he wants out of the game as well. But if I was playing a TV game, Xbox, he would come in at No.3 in my team.

I feel there's too much risk in those first couple of overs to go and ask Virat to take the game on, to hit the ball in the air. All I want him to do is to bat between overs 4 and 16-17, somewhere there. I feel that's where he's best in the world by a country mile and that's where he's most impactful.”

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
AB de Villiers and Virat Kohli

Former RCB batter Ab de Villiers has claimed that he enjoyed Virat Kohli's comments towards Sunil Gavaskar in the context of the former's strike rate.

In IPL 2024, Virat Kohli's striking rate and his approach were heavily questioned by opposing fans and expert pundits on air. The former RCB captain had also responded to the criticism he received from the former cricket players who currently speak about the game from the commentary box.

What happened between Virat Kohli and Sunil Gavaskar?

Virat Kohli lashed out by saying that he isn't obliged to hear what the commentators say because they haven't been in the situations themselves. He has been doing the same thing for the last 15 years and he just focuses on helping his team win and has less focus on his strike rates or his personal milestones.

His comments rattled former World Cup winner Sunil Gavaskar, who stated that Kohli shouldn't respond to his criticism if he doesn't care. Commentators have no personal agenda against any cricketer, it's just that they speak what they see. It had created a massive stir on social media with people choosing sides but most of them supported Virat Kohli.

What did AB de Villiers say?

While speaking to Jio Cinema recently, AB de Villiers was asked about how he had felt after Virat Kohli slammed Sunil Gavaskar for his comments. The South African, without any hesitation, stated "Yeah, I enjoyed that."

AB de Villiers was not at all fond of Virat Kohli catching so much criticism despite being a role model and a cricketing hero of the country. He had said the same thing on one of his YouTube videos as well.

"I thought it was... really bad for someone like that for a hero and a role model of the country to get so much criticism around that. But the way I know him, I just knew and that's exactly what I mentioned on my show." - de Villiers said via Jio Cinema.

de Villiers admits Virat Kohli acts differently when criticized

AB de Villiers went on to further add that Virat Kohli becomes a different beast when he catches criticism for his gameplay. The former Mr. 360, admitted from his observation that he used to tell his players that they should not utter even a single word from their mouths against Kohli.

Kohli feeds off the criticism and it helps him get into the zone so it's better to not instigate him to score something big. It comes from a player who has spent a lot of years in the dressing room with the Indian batter.

"I said, guys, you have no idea what happens to this guy when he catches criticism. The many years I've played against him, I used to tell the players in the team room, you do not say one word to Virat on the pitch because he will come out and he will score a big 100 if you try and chirp him." - AB de Villiers concluded.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Smriti Mandhana | India vs New Zealand 2019 |

Indian Women’s Cricket team vice-captain Smriti Mandhana is going through a purple patch in New Zealand. She has been the highest scorer for her side as India won the ODI series 2-1. Meanwhile, she continued her fine touch to the T20s striking the fastest T20 half-century among Indian batswomen. However, her valiant effort couldn’t save her side losing the first T20I encounter.

Meanwhile, India got off to a good start removing veteran New Zealand batter Suzie Bates early in the second over. Since then Sophie Divine stitched two crucial partnership with Caitlin Gurrey (15) and skipper Amy Sattherwaite (33) to take the side’s total over the 100-run mark. But an untimely departure of Divine (62) left the game open for the Indian to bounce back. But a late cameo from Katey Martin ensured that New Zealand post 159 runs on the board at the halfway stage. Martin’s 24 off 17 balls including two towering sixes helped her side finish high on momentum.

284776.jpg

Getty Images

India, however, got the worst possible start losing their opener Priya Punia in the first over itself. But Smriti Mandhana partnered Jemimah Rodrigues to bail out India for early troubles. The pair added 98 runs for the second wicket to set the stage for the middle-orders to come and score the winning runs. While Jemimah chipped in with a 33-ball 39 runs knock, Mandhana scored a quickfire 58 before getting out. Her knock was filled with seven boundaries and three sixes.

In the process, she became the fastest Indian women to score a t20 half-century. Smriti Mandhana brought her half-century in just 24 balls breaking her own record set against England last year when scored a fifty off only 25 balls. However, skipper Harmanpreet Kaur finds herself in the third spot scoring in 29 deliveries.

Smriti Mandhana

The 22-year-old Mandhana has been in fine touch since she landed in New Zealand. She started the tour on a high with a century that gave India their first win in the tour. She backed it up with another unbeaten knock of 90 runs to seal the game along with the series.

Meanwhile, India couldn’t recuperate after losing Jemimah Rodrigues and Smriti Mandhana in quick succession. Although Harmanpreet Kaur tried a bit, her wicket put the final nail in the coffin as India lost the game by 23 runs.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Ausw vs NzW

As confirmed by the Commowealth Games Federation (CGF) last year, women’s T20 cricket is set to get underway in the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. The eight-team competition will begin on June 29 – the opening day of the multi-discipline sporting event which features 19 sports.

The 2022 Commonwealth Games will see a total of 19 sports being played over 11 days from July 29 and August 8. The women’s T20 cricket event will run till August 7 with the top three teams expected to given podium finishes.

West indies Women,England Women

England Women [Photo-BBC]

Cricket last featured in the Games in 1998

Cricket has not been a regular feature in the Games. It was last played in the marquee global event during the 1998 edition which was held in Kuala Lumpur. It was however a 50-over men’s cricket competition where South Africa and Australia contested in the final clash. The teams had some big names in form of Jacques Kallis, Ricky Ponting Adam Gilchrist and the Waugh brothers.

South Africa had clinched the gold medal in that competition.

Gautam Gambhir, T20 World Cup, India Women's Team, India

India Women’s Team. (Photo: Twitter)

“This is a truly historic moment for women’s cricket and for the global cricket community, who were united in their support of this bid,” Manu Sawhney, Chief Executive of the International Cricket Council (ICC) had earlier said in a media statement.

“Women’s cricket continues to go from strength to strength, and we are delighted and honoured the Commonwealth Games Associations voted to include Women’s T20 cricket at Birmingham 2022.”

“Fast and exciting, the T20 format is the perfect fit for the Commonwealth Games and offers another chance to showcase women’s cricket on the global stage as part of our ambitious plans to accelerate the growth of the game, whilst inspiring the next generation of cricketers. All the players who are lucky enough to compete at Birmingham 2022 will be part of a truly memorable experience.”

Australia are currently the champions in Women’s T20 format.

Members

Threads

Back