0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Wessly Madhevere and Brandon Mavuta

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has given the green signal to Wessly Madhevere and Brandon Mavuta to return to competitive cricket after they completed their four-month suspensions for drug use.

Madhevere and Mavuta were suspended by Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) after they tested positive for a recreational drug in December last year. As part of the disciplinary action, the two cricketers were fined 50% of their salaries for three months, effective January 2024.

As part of their recovery process, Madhevere and Mavuta were instructed to undergo training as per Zimbabwe Cricket's high-performance program during their suspension period. After completing their suspensions, both players underwent drug tests, which they successfully cleared.

We're pleased to welcome Wessly and Brandon back to competitive cricket: ZC

They have now been cleared to resume playing competitive cricket. This announcement was confirmed by the managing director of Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC), Givemore Makoni, on Thursday, May 9. Notably, before their suspensions, Madhevere and Mavuta had last represented Zimbabwe during the home series against Ireland in December 2023.

Givemore Makoni said in an official statement: “I am pleased to welcome Wessly and Brandon back to competitive cricket after both of them underwent rehabilitation and also passed a drug test carried out to check if they were now clean. More importantly, the two players acknowledged their mistakes and have vowed to stay clean and focus on their very promising careers as cricketers.”

Apart from the suspension of the all-rounder duo, batter Kevin Kasuza has also faced immediate suspension from all forms of cricket after testing positive for a banned recreational drug in January. However, there has been no recent update from ZC regarding Kasuza's suspension status.

ZC started an in-house drug testing programme

Meanwhile, in the same statement released by ZC, the board said that they have implemented their own anti-drug program independently of the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to address the issue.

Makoni stated: “Recognising the dangers that recreational drugs may cause, ZC opted to go beyond the ICC and WADA obligations by implementing an in-house drugs testing programme. This is a very important initiative that should be hailed for providing education, counselling and treatment, where appropriate, to rehabilitate players who have become involved with social drugs.”

Additionally, the statement also revealed that Davis Murwendo, a player from the ZC Academy, tested positive for a recreational drug during their recent internal testing. Murwendo is scheduled to attend a hearing regarding his offense soon.

Notably, the Zimbabwe cricket team is currently on the Bangladesh tour, where they are playing a five-match T20I series against the Tigers. However, the Zimbabwe team already lost the T20I series by losing the first three games to the Bangladesh cricket team.

The rest of the two T20Is are scheduled for May 10 and May 12 at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka. However, Zimbabwe failed to qualify for the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in the USA and Caribbean.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
KL Rahul, Sanjiv Goenka

Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) skipper KL Rahul has become the talk of the town after his conversation with owner Sanjiv Goenka went viral on the internet. This came after the team suffered a thrashing 10-wicket loss against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) on Wednesday (8th May).

After the match was over, Sanjiv Goenka didn't go easy on skipper KL Rahul. The owner of the franchise looked in a furious mood and was giving a drubbing to the Lucknow Super Giants captain. The video went viral all over the internet and many lashed out at Goenka for the way he treated the India cricketer.

Amid all the saga, a report in PTI has sparked a new controversy. It is learned that KL Rahul's future as captain is under the scanner. The opening batter might step down as the captain of the team ahead of the Lucknow Super Giants' last two games in the tournament.

The reports also claimed that Lucknow Super Giants isn't keen to retain KL Rahul ahead of the IPL 2025 auction. The skipper was roped in before the auction in 2022 for a record Rs 17 crore. The franchise will be letting him go and the batter mostly likely will be part of the mega-auction.

A source claims that so far LSG management hasn't taken any decision but they will welcome the decision if KL Rahul steps down as the leader of the team. Speaking to PTI, he stated:

"There is a five-day gap before the next game against DC. As of now, no decision has been taken but it is understood that if Rahul plans to just concentrate on his batting for the remaining two games, the management won't mind."

If KL Rahul decides to leave the leadership then it is likely that Nicholas Pooran will captain the team. He has been the vice-captain of the team and also led the team early on when the regular skipper was rested due to injury.

KL Rahul has been in decent touch in the ongoing IPL 2024. He has mustered 460 runs in 12 games at a strike rate of 136.09. He has been criticized a lot for his poor strike rate and also missed out on the Indian team for the T20 World Cup 2024. It remains to be seen what will be his future with the Lucknow Super Giants.

Lucknow Super Giants still in contention for the playoffs

Even after the loss against Sunrisers Hyderabad, Lucknow Super Giants are still in contention. They are currently placed 6th on the points table with 6 wins and 6 losses under their belt with an NRR of -0.769.

To make it into the playoffs, Lucknow Super Giants have to win their next two games of the IPL 2024 as it will take them to 16 points. They also would want Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings want both the teams to lose one of their remaining games. They will next take on Delhi Capitals on Tuesday (14th May).

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Harshal Patel and MS Dhoni

Punjab Kings' most expensive player at the IPL 2024 auction - Harshal Patel - has revealed how he picked up the wicket of MS Dhoni in Punjab's previous game against CSK.

Harshal Patel had bowled an excellent dipping off-cutter to get MS Dhoni out on a golden duck for the first time in IPL 2024. That delivery was widely talked about afterwards with many claiming that Patel might have actually given birth to a new variation. The right-arm seamer, who has collected 17 wickets this season, will be in action later tonight against one of his former franchises - RCB.

Harshal Patel reveals mindset before removing MS Dhoni for a golden duck

While speaking to ESPNcricinfo in an exclusive interview, Harshal Patel had quite a lot of things to say. He was asked about a variety of things - from the season that he is having to how he has fitted into the Punjab Kings dressing room. One of the other topics was how he planned the wicket of MS Dhoni.

"You're at the top of your mark, bowling to MS Dhoni, who has been in terrific hitting form. You get him with the dipping yorker. Did you plan that dismissal?" Patel was asked.

To its response, Harshal Patel revealed that his plan was not to bowl MS Dhoni a dipping slower ball, and the plan certainly wasn't to knock back his off-stump. The seamer stated that during net practice sessions, he had planned to go around the wicket against MSD and try to bowl a wide yorker.

However, the conditions during the first IPL 2024 match in that fixture's venue - Dharamshala changed it all. Since the ball was coming off differently from his hand and because of the unexpected drift of the ball, Harshal Patel thought he should try the dipping slower ball.

Harshal Patel, in his mind, knew that things would get easier for Punjab Kings if MS Dhoni got out and the delivery he bowled, manifested what he had thought. He admitted that he was very confident about his execution as he believed in himself that Dhoni wouldn't be able to hit for a six even if he picked the ball.

"Before the innings I had planned to go around the stumps to him and bowl a wide yorker, but the way the ball was coming out of my hand and the way it was drifting, I thought, "Okay I'm going to take a chance here." And if I get him out, the 20th over becomes a lot easier for us."

"I was pretty confident with my execution. I thought, even if he sees it out of the hand, there's very little probability of him hitting that for six," Harshal Patel said via ESPNcricinfo.

Harshal Patel to be in action against his former franchise

Meanwhile, Harshal Patel is all set to be in action later tonight against his former franchise - the Royal Challengers Bengaluru at the HPCA stadium in Dharamshala. In their previous meeting, RCB had won the match and tonight both the teams will be eager for the win as it will boost their chances for the playoffs.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Kl Rahul and Sanjiv Goenka

Former Indian cricketer S Badrinath reacted to the animated discussion between Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) owner Sanjiv Goenka and skipper KL Rahul after their match against SunRisers Hyderabad (SRH). S Badrinath isn't pleased with Sanjiv Goenka's behavior following the humiliating defeat.

The Lucknow Super Giants suffered a 10-wicket loss against Sunrisers Hyderabad at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium on Wednesday, May 8. The KL Rahul-led team posted a total of 165 runs in 20 overs. The Pat Cummins-led team chased down the target in 9.4 overs without losing a wicket.

After the loss, Sanjiv Goenka had a visibly intense conversation with KL Rahul. This interaction drew significant criticism online, with many deeming the owner's behavior towards Rahul as unprofessional and unacceptable. The video has gone viral across social media platforms on the internet.

This is just pathetic from @LucknowIPL owner
Never saw SRH management with players on the field or even closer to dressing room irrespective of so many bad seasons and still face lot of wrath for getting involved. Just look at this @klrahul leave this shit next year #SRHvsLSG pic.twitter.com/6NlAvHMCjJ

— SRI (@srikant5333) May 8, 2024

Discussions Are Always Healthy - Subramaniam Badrinath

Subramaniam Badrinath took to his social media handle, X (formerly known as Twitter), to slam Sanjiv Goenka for publicly having an animated conversation with KL Rahul. The former Chennai Super Kings cricketer suggested that the discussions could have been done in a private environment.

"Discussions are always healthy.. but I am sure it could have been done in a private environment #LSG #KLRahul #IPL2024," Subramaniam Badrinath wrote.

Discussions are always healthy.. but I am sure it could have been done in a private environment #LSG #KLRahul #IPL2024

— S.Badrinath (@s_badrinath) May 9, 2024

Franchise Is Not Allowed To Bid For The Player - Joy Bhattacharya

Former Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) team director Joy Bhattacharya proposed a change to the auction system after observing on-field interactions between players and owners. He suggested an 'Opt Out Card' that would enable players to decline one franchise's bid, allowing other teams to bid for them.

"After seeing the on field interaction yesterday between a player and an owner & a few stray incidents in the past, how about a suggestion that doesn't totally change the auction dynamic, but tilts it a little more in favour of players and gives them some choice in the matter," Bhattacharya wrote.

"What if each player had one opt out card? That means they have the right to say no to one franchise if they so choose. All the remaining franchises can bid for the player. The card is only known to the BCCI and the franchise he is opting out of has to be specified beforehand by the player. That franchise is not allowed to bid for the player, but that information need not even be revealed to the public so that everyone's reputation remains intact. How about it BCCI?" he added.

After seeing the on field interaction yesterday between a player and an owner & a few stray incidents in the past, how about a suggestion that doesn't totally change the auction dynamic, but tilts it a little more in favour of players and gives them some choice in the matter.…

— Joy Bhattacharjya (@joybhattacharj) May 9, 2024

The Lucknow Super Giants are currently in sixth place in the Indian Premier League 2024 points table. The KL Rahul-led team has 12 points from 12 matches, with a net run rate of -0.769. The Lucknow-based team has two more matches remaining in the league stage of the ongoing tournament.

The Lucknow Super Giants have the chance to clinch a top-four finish in IPL 2024. Winning their remaining matches with decent margins to accumulate 16 points could secure their playoff spot. They will play against the Delhi Capitals (DC) on May 14 and the Mumbai Indians (MI) on May 17.

Also read: DC vs LSG: "Just be brave, because..." - Ian Bishop namedrops Pat Cummins in advice for KL Rahul

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Brian Lara

West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara has reflected on his coaching tenure with the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in the Indian Premier League (IPL) as he unveiled his top-4 teams in the ongoing IPL 2024. Lara admitted that his termination was not ideal.

Lara served as the head coach of the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in IPL 2023, where the franchise finished at the bottom of the table, and it led to the removal of the legendary West Indian. Later, former New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori replaced Lara as SRH head coach.

Initially, the former West Indies batter joined SRH as their batting coach, and then he took over as the head coach, but after just one season, the Hyderabad franchise showed him the door.

Brian Lara reflects on his stint with SRH and picks IPL 2024 favorites

Despite the abrupt end to his stint with the SRH, Lara remains optimistic about the Orange Army’s prospects in the ongoing IPL 2024, as he picked his former team among his favorites to reach the playoffs.

In addition to SRH, Lara also named the Rajasthan Royals (RR), Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in his top four in the ongoing IPL 2024. While Lara's coaching journey with SRH may have ended on a sour note, he wants to see success for the Orange Army this season.

Brian Lara was quoted as saying by PTI: “I have to make it very clear because sometimes people will think your relationship with SRH was so bad but - I would love to see SRH do well. I feel it is a continuation of something.”

Speaking about what makes his love for India enduring, Lara said: “I think when you come to India, the way how you’re treated, you know, and when you turn any corner there’s a smile on someone’s face just from seeing you. I think that is something that is refreshing and you know it’s also very positive. It has a positive effect on me being in India, being loved in a foreign country and the way that they loves you."

Brian Lara opens up about what he loves about India and his favorite Indian food

Lara further explained: "Walking in Miami on South Beach, everybody’s pushing you out of the way. But in India, it’s a whole different story, everybody pushing into you. So, I think that from someone who started playing the game for the adulation from my father and from my siblings to having the adulation in India is something that I love, but it’s also the serenity of the people.”

Furthermore, Lara expressed his fondness for "chhole bhature," comparing the popular north-Indian street food to a dish from his homeland, Trinidad, known as Doubles. He described the similarity between the two dishes and encouraged others to taste Trinidad Doubles to understand the similarity.

Lara also revealed that doubles are popular among Indian players, who enjoy them during their visit to Trinidad. However, Lara said that he loves India, but he is not a big Bollywood fan.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Harshal Patel and Jasprit Bumrah

India and Punjab Kings' (PBKS) seamer, Harshal Patel, has been making waves in the ongoing IPL 2024 ever since dismissing Chennai Super Kings (CSK) legend MS Dhoni on a first-ball duck in the ongoing IPL 2024. Patel has so far been impressive with the ball in the tournament.

With 17 wickets from 11 matches for the Punjab Kings (PBKS), Patel is currently ranked as the second-highest wicket-taker in the ongoing IPL 2024, trailing only behind India and Mumbai Indians' ace speedster Jasprit Bumrah, who has 18 wickets to his name from 12 games.

As Patel gears up for a crucial IPL 2024 match against his former franchise Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) on May 9, the seamer reflected on his performance, his admiration for Bumrah as a death bowler, and his dedication to mastering the art of bowling for the Yorkers.

Harshal Patel aims to emulate Jasprit Bumrah's approach

Despite his impressive wicket-taking abilities, Patel admitted concerns about his economy rate, which stands at over nine runs per over. Addressing this challenge, the Indian bowler stressed the importance of striking a balance between containing runs and taking wickets. Patel expressed his commitment to improving in this aspect to contribute effectively to his team's success.

Harshal Patel was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo: “I have sort of figured out what I need to do to be able to shut batters down when I need to, and there's a lot of skill aspects involved in that as well. I've been working on those skills consistently from even before the season.”

Harshal admitted that he hasn't met expectations yet but aims to emulate Bumrah's approach of maintaining the economy while also taking wickets in the ongoing IPL 2024. He further noted, “I've not been able to consistently do it in the game, but I'm on the right path, and when it all comes together, I want to be as good as someone like Jasprit Bumrah, because we keep talking about bowlers going at nine or ten an over and throughout this IPL, there has been one fast bowler Bumrah who goes for less than six most of the time. I challenge myself to be as good as him.”

Harshal Patel opens up about his execution

Furthermore, Harshal Patel stressed the importance of executing his deliveries accurately, as he believes that when he delivers effectively, batters struggle to make contact with his deliveries. He also has confidence in his execution, which allows him to bowl six deliveries in a row without being hit consistently.

Harshal also admitted that occasionally batters may manage to connect with one delivery but typically struggle beyond that. He is ready to bowl six slower balls consecutively if it allows. Despite being labeled as a "pacer who bowls off-spin," Harshal remains unfazed, as he only focuses on execution and effectiveness in his bowling strategy.

Notably, PBKS is currently standing in the 8th spot in the IPL 2024 points table with 8 points from 11 games so far.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Mohammad Amir

Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir grabbed the eyeballs of many when he didn't fly to Ireland with his teammates for the T20I series. The Babar Azam-led side will be playing a three-match series against the Irish team to prepare for the T20 World Cup 2024.

Mohammad Amir, who was part of the squad, didn't get his visa for Dublin. This made his participation in the series under doubt. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) was in touch with Cricket Ireland for the issue and they blamed the host nation for the delay, saying it was their responsibility.

Amid all the saga related to his visa issues, a source in Pakistan Cricket has revealed that Mohammad Amir has been given a visa to Ireland after he got the clearance. The Pakistan Cricket Board has informed the pacer to board the flight to Ireland. The pacer is potentially flying out to Dublin tonight. Notably, the PCB chairman got involved in this matter, and due to his personal efforts, Amir got the visa.

محمد عامر کو ویزہ میں تاخیر پر محسن نقوی صاحب خود انوالو ہوئے انکی ذاتی کاوشوں کی بدولت محمد عامر کو ویزہ مل گیا@MohsinnaqviC42 #MohsinNaqvi

— Qadir Khawaja (@iamqadirkhawaja) May 9, 2024

Mohammad Amir will be missing the first game against Ireland but will be available for the last two games. The reports claimed that Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Moshin Naqvi himself apologized to the fast bowler for the visa delay and looked into the matter personally.

Pakistan arrived in Dublin on Wednesday (8th May). The first game of the series will be played on 10th May at the Clontarf Cricket Club Ground. Mohammad Amir will be against the race for it but is likely to play a crucial role for the team in the last two games against the Ireland National Cricket Team.

The second T20I will be played on 12th May followed by the last match to be played on 14th May. After that, the Pakistan Cricket Team will be traveling to England for the T20I series. The two teams will be playing against each other in the four-match series from 22nd May to 30th May

Mohammad Amir recently made a return to the International cricket. He called time on his career in December 2020. However, he reversed his decision and made his comeback in the recently concluded T20I series against the New Zealand National Cricket Team at home.

Mohammad Amir claimed three wickets in the series against New Zealand. He looked in great rhythm. The series between the two teams ended in a 2-2 draw and it saw the Pakistan Cricket Team receiving a lot of criticism for not winning against the second-string Kiwi team that too at home.

Pakistan now would be keen to make a comeback and get all the things right ahead of the T20 World Cup 2024. They would be eager to win the series against Ireland and England and head into the tournament high on the conference.

Pakistan's schedule for the Ireland and England series

Here's the Pakistan schedule for the Ireland and England series

Match

Date

Venue

Time (PST)

Ireland vs Pakistan 1st T20I

May 10

Dublin

7:00 pm

Ireland vs Pakistan 2nd T20I

May 12

Dublin

Ireland vs Pakistan 3rd T20I

May 14

Dublin

England vs Pakistan 1st T20I

May 22

Leeds

10:30 pm

England vs Pakistan 2nd T20I

May 25

Birmingham

6:30 pm

England vs Pakistan 3rd T20I

May 28

Cardiff

England vs Pakistan 4th T20I

May 30

The Oval, London

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
SA20

While the use of the Impact Player role in the Indian Premier League has faced criticism from several big names including India captain Rohit Sharma, Cricket South Africa is reportedly considering implementing it in the SA20 from next season.

The rule was implemented in the IPL last year. It allows the teams to substitute a player - batsman or bowler - during their respective innings as per the demands of the situation in the match. For example, Kolkata Knight Riders decided to use Manish Pandey as an impact player during their game against Mumbai Indians earlier this season.

Till that game, Pandey had not played a single match in IPL 2024. However, with KKR reeling at 57 for 5, he was used as an impact player and he went on to score crucial 42 runs while sharing a match-winning stand of 83 runs with Venkatesh Iyer.

While the rule has definitely made the games more entertaining for the fans as teams have been scoring runs for fun this season, several players and experts have raised their concerns. Last month, Rohit expressed his concerns over the rule and said that it holds back the development of allrounders.

"I generally feel that it is going to hold back [development of allrounders] because eventually cricket is played by 11 players, not 12 players. I'm not a big fan of impact player. You are taking out so much from the game just to make it little entertainment for the people around," Rohit had said on the Club Prairie Podcast, which is co-hosted by former cricketers Adam Gilchrist and Michael Vaughan.

"But if you look [at] genuinely just cricketing aspect of it…. I can give you so many examples - guys like Washington Sundar, Shivam Dube are not getting to bowl, which for us [India team] is not a good thing," he added.

SA20 to implement Impact Player Rule:

According to a report in Cricbuzz, CSA has shown interest in implementing the Impact Player Rule in the next edition. The report stated that the board wanted to implement it in the last season itself but eventually decided against it since the auctions were already done and the franchises had not been able to form their squads by keeping the impact player rule in mind.

The rule will be on the agenda when the South African tournament's administrators gather to plan the 2025 edition. That meeting will be held after the ICC releases its updated playing conditions, which are usually published on October 1. If the rule is approved, SA20 is likely to implement it.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
Brett Lee, Sanjiv Goenka and KL Rahul

Former Australian pacer Brett Lee has shared his views on the controversial incident involving Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) owner Sanjiv Goenka and skipper KL Rahul that took place after their IPL 2024 clash with Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad on Wednesday, May 8.

Joining the long list of former cricketers, Lee expressed his disappointment over the IPL 2024 incident, stressing that such discussions might have been better handled behind closed doors rather than in the public eye.

However, Lee also acknowledged the passion that owners and coaches have for their teams' success, but he believed that internal matters should be discussed behind closed doors. The Aussie great also took the opportunity to pick the Delhi Capitals (DC) as one of his favorites for the playoffs.

Sanjiv Goenka fumes at KL Rahul on live TV

Actually, Sanjiv Goenka, the LSG owner, found himself at the center of attention, as he was engaged in a heated exchange with the captain, KL Rahul, live after the team suffered a humiliating defeat of 10 wickets against the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in a crucial IPL 2024 match on May 8 in Hyderabad.

The incident unfolded at the boundary rope after SRH crushed LSG to only dent their IPL 2024 Playoff hopes at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium. During the tense exchange, Goenka was clearly seen fuming at Rahul, and the camera captured the skipper calmly listening to his owner.

Goenka's visible frustration and subsequent confrontation with Rahul, sparking discussions among cricket pundits and even the LSG owner, have been slammed by the fans and former cricketers for his live reaction.

Brett Lee weighs in on Sanjiv Goenka-KL Rahul spat during SRH vs LSG clash

However, since IPL 2024 moved to the final end of the business, every match carries immense significance in the race for playoff berths, so Goenka's frustration was obvious, but the place was certainly no right, and even Lee admitted the same.

Brett Lee said at an event in Delhi: “You know, I think there's a place behind closed doors where that might have been a better option rather than the whole world watching. If it was done behind closed doors, you would not be asking me this question now. But you also, on the other side, look at the passion that the owners have, the passion the coaches have, they want their team to do the best. So, yeah, maybe just pick their time. But I wanted to put it out there, since we are in Delhi, but I did pick Delhi to be my top four.”

Watch Here:

Australian former cricketer Brett Lee responded over the controversial conversation between KL Rahul and Mr.Goenka last night after the match , according to Lee it should happen behind the doors not like this , @klrahul @LucknowIPL @IPL #KLRahul pic.twitter.com/9KSuZr7O7f

— vipul kashyap (@kashyapvipul) May 9, 2024

Notably, LSG is currently ranked 6th in the IPL 2024 points table, with 12 points from 12 games so far. Now, the LSG will have to win their remaining two matches by a large margin to make it to the top four of the lucrative T20 league. They will have their last two league games against the Delhi Capitals (DC) on May 14 and the Mumbai Indians (MI) on May 17.

Crystal

I'm Bot
OP
Crystal

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
PBKS vs RCB

Punjab Kings (PBKS) are taking on Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 on Thursday (9th May). The 58th game of the tournament, which will also be a virtual eliminator, is taking place at the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium in Dharamsala.

This is the second time that Punjab Kings (PBKS) and Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) are facing off each other in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024. In the first leg of the fixture, the Faf du Plessis-led side won the game by 4 wickets in what was a thriller. But overall, Punjab have the upper hand as they have won 17 matches over the opposition, who have 15 wins.

The game between PBKS and RCB will be a knockout game for both teams. The loser of the game will be eliminated from the IPL 2024 and will join Mumbai Indians, who got knocked out after Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Lucknow Super Giants in the 57th game of the tournament in Hyderabad.

Currently, RCB are 7th on the points table with 4 wins and 7 defeats from the 11 games in the IPL 2024. They have 8 points under their belt. On the other hand, PBKS are 8th on the points table with the same number of wins and defeats in 11 games.

RCB will be high on confidence entering into the game. They have played a magnificent brand of cricket in the last few games they have played and have won three matches on the trot. Punjab Kings on the other hand had a good run until the last game, where they suffered a thrashing loss to Chennai Super Kings.

The game between PBKS and RCB will be extremely crucial in the context of the game. Whoever wins the game will stay alive for the playoffs spot. With both the teams being in decent touch in the last few games, it promises to be an enthralling game.

IPL 2024: Who are the impact players nominated by PBKS and RCB for match 58 of IPL 2024

Punjab Kings skipper Sam Curran won the toss and opted to field first in the game against RCB. The skipper stated that they wanted to put pressure on the opposition and talked about the combination of the team. Speaking at the toss, he explained:

“Going to bowl. Looks like they've watered the wicket a bit, might be something early on. Looking to put RCB under pressure early. With the side we've picked today, looking to take wickets with the new ball. Pretty simple for us now - need a few results to go for us and win our remaining games. Livingstone comes in for Rabada. Our strength is our batting.”

Faf du Plessis on the other hand also expressed his desire to field first in the game against PBKS. He also stated that they want to focus on playing good cricket. He added:

“Would've done the same. Been a great turnaround for us. Last few games we've been clinical. Focus remains the same, not too much on the table, just the way we want to play. Maxwell out for Lockie Ferguson.”

PBKS vs RCB: Impact Players

PBKS: Harpreet Brar, Tanay Thyagarajan, Rishi Dhawan, Jitesh Sharma, Nathan Ellis

RCB: Anuj Rawat, Suyash Prabhudessai, Vijaykumar Vyshak, Yash Dayal, Mayank Dagar

PBKS vs RCB: Playing XIs

Punjab Kings (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow(w), Prabhsimran Singh, Rilee Rossouw, Shashank Singh, Sam Curran(c), Liam Livingstone, Ashutosh Sharma, Harshal Patel, Rahul Chahar, Arshdeep Singh, Vidhwath Kaverappa

Royal Challengers Bengaluru (Playing XI): Virat Kohli, Faf du Plessis(c), Will Jacks, Rajat Patidar, Mahipal Lomror, Cameron Green, Dinesh Karthik(w), Swapnil Singh, Karn Sharma, Mohammed Siraj, Lockie Ferguson

Members

Threads

Back