LEVEL 1
100 XP

My Sister

The Rentmeester Twins on “Dry and Neglected” Skin

Written by: Megan O’Neill

|

Published on: September 27, 2022

Marlien and Coliena Rentmeester

“Being a twin feels like a superpower,” says Marlien Rentmeester, the 51-year-old founder of the fashion blog Le Catch, who shares more than a beautiful olive-toned complexion and incredible style with her identical twin sister, Coliena (their impossibly flawless skin and way with tiered maxidresses, filmy skirts, and sleek evening gowns also qualify as superpowers). “When Coco and I are in New York, we’re going running along the Hudson or having dinner somewhere downtown, like Bar Pitti. When we’re in LA, we’re jumping into the ocean in Malibu, or we’re at my house and she’s stealing clothes from my closet.” The sisters, both mothers to two teenagers, also steal/share each other’s skin care and makeup—goop, Beautycounter, and RMS are favorites.

1. Marlien’s I’m-Not-Tired Trick

goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Microderm Instant Glow Exfoliator, goop, $125/$112 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Microderm
    Instant Glow Exfoliator
    goop, $125/$112 with subscription
    SHOP NOW
  2. Coliena’s Eye-Brightening Secret

RMS Beauty “Un” Cover-Up, goop, $36
    RMS Beauty “Un” Cover-Up goop, $36
    SHOP NOW
  3. Their Inky Mascara Obsession

Beautycounter Think Big All-in-One Mascara, goop, $30
    Beautycounter Think Big
    All-in-One Mascara
    goop, $30
    SHOP NOW
Unknown-3-2.jpg

“Being a mom has aged me, so I need more under-eye concealer these days,” laughs fashion photographer Coliena, who calls both LA and Tribeca home. The twins’ easy beauty routines, outdoorsy lifestyles, and spirit-nourishing work (they also run Oui Want together, a platform where they curate and style some of the most beautiful new and loved brands—if you’re on the prowl for something swishy, flattering, and whimsical, check it out) all play into their noticeable glow. So do genetics: “Our dad is Dutch, with olive skin, and our mom is Indonesian. She’s 86 years old but could pass for 65,” says Marlien. “Probably because she doesn’t go in the sun.”

The sisters do go in the sun, however. “We have the same skin type: dry and neglected,” deadpans Marlien. “We’re in the sun all the time—surfing, waterskiing, running. We used to be delinquents about skin care, but now when I look at Coco and see wrinkles, I’m like, Okay, I’ve gotta start doing more. Looking at each other is incentive.” Here, their joint (and clearly extremely effective) strategy.

If you do nothing else, exfoliate.

1. “I worked with Jean Godfrey-June at Lucky magazine a million years ago when I was a fashion editor, and she was like, ‘Exfoliate—just do that!’” says Marlien. “It’s true; it makes the biggest difference. I use Microderm a few times a week, and the Sleep Milk serum is my new savior. It’s got alpha hydroxy acids and moisturizing extracts. You apply it before bed, and it works overnight—it’s like GP knew exactly what my skin needed and made it.”

2. goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Dark Spot Exfoliating Sleep Milk, goop, $98/$89 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Dark Spot Exfoliating Sleep Milk goop, $98/$89 with subscription
    SHOP NOW

Light up your skin with low-key makeup.

Both Rentmeesters go for silky formulas that take no skill—or time—to smooth on for a subtle, healthy-looking sheen. “I do a little tinted moisturizer from Beautycounter or Iris&Romeo concealer, plus Beautycounter cheek tint and lip gloss,” says Coliena.

1. Beautycounter Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer, goop, $50
    Beautycounter Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer goop, $50
    SHOP NOW
  2. Beautycounter Beyond Gloss, goop, $32
    Beautycounter Beyond Gloss goop, $32
    SHOP NOW

1. Marlien’s everyday approach is similarly effortless. “I almost always have goop lip balm with me, and I fill in my brows with brow gel for definition and a sculpting effect. For special occasions, I dab a little RMS highlighter along my brow bone and cheeks.”

goop Beauty GOOPGENES Clean Nourishing Lip Balm Trio, goop, $48
    goop Beauty GOOPGENES Clean Nourishing Lip Balm Trio goop, $48
    SHOP NOW
  2. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer, goop, $38
    RMS Beauty Living Luminizer goop, $38
    SHOP NOW
  1. goop Pick

Rye Beauty Brow Grooming Serum, goop, $42
    Rye Beauty Brow Grooming Serum goop, $42
    SHOP NOW

model posing

Drench your skin in moisture.

1. Coliena wakes up her dry skin with the surge of peptides and brightening bakuchiol in the Beautycounter moisturizer. “The texture feels suuuper light,” she says.

Beautycounter Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream, goop, $98
    Beautycounter Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream goop, $98
    SHOP NOW
  2. goop Pick

Tamara Dutta Rosehip Smoothie Balm goop, $150
    Tamara Dutta Rosehip Smoothie Balm goop, $150
    SHOP NOW

Marlien follows three steps for intense hydration: “Layer the goop face oil, which I love, under a rich balm, like the one from Oak Essentials—it’s like buttering a bagel, but for your face,” she says. “And then I love goop eye cream: ‘Ooooh, let’s put this on.’”

1. goop Beauty GOOPGENES All-in-One Super Nutrient Face Oil, goop, $98
    goop Beauty GOOPGENES All-in-One
    Super Nutrient Face Oil
    goop, $98
    SHOP NOW
  2. goop Beauty GOOPGENES All-in-One Nourishing Eye Cream, goop, $55/$50 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGENES All-in-One
    Nourishing Eye Cream
    goop, $55/$50 with subscription
    SHOP NOW

Show some skin.

A smooth thigh or strong, sun-kissed arms are almost always on display in whatever swishy, casually sleek getup the sisters are wearing. “I just glob the goop body butter all over me,” says Coliena, who’s currently loving pieces from Maison Mayle (Marlien, on the other hand, has lately been into La Ligne and MOTHER denim). “My skin is so dry, and I love the idea of covering myself in something clean.”

1. goop Beauty GOOPGENES Nourishing Repair Body Butter, goop, $65/$50 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGENES Nourishing Repair Body Butter goop, $65/$50 with subscription
    SHOP NOW
  2. goop Beauty GOOPLGLOW Microderm Instant Glow Body Polish, goop, $48/$43 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Microderm Instant Glow Body Polish goop, $48/$43 with subscription
    SHOP NOW
  3. G. Label Tanya Tile-Print Minidress, goop, $565
    G. Label Tanya Tile-Print Minidress goop, $565
    SHOP NOW

Slather yourself in mineral sunscreen.

models posing

1. “When I’m surfing, I wear Supergoop sunscreen. It makes my entire body glow, and I love it,” says Marlien.

2. Supergoop Play 100% Mineral Lotion SPF 30 with Green Algae, goop, $36
    Supergoop Play 100% Mineral Lotion SPF 30 with Green Algae goop, $36
    SHOP NOW
  3. Netta Ruched Swimsuit, goop, $225
    Netta Ruched Swimsuit goop, $225
    SHOP NOW

Don’t fuss too much with your hair.

“We grew up in New York and still have that relaxed sensibility,” says Marlien. “We just wear our hair up so that no one can see what’s going on.”

“The default is a quick bun,” agrees Coliena. “I work out every morning, and I’m just so sweaty, I wash my hair every day.”

goop Picks

1. Aquis Flip Hair Drying Tool goop, $50
    SHOP NOW
  2. Slip Silk Scrunchies - Small, goop, $39
    Slip Silk Scrunchies – Small goop, $39
    SHOP NOW
  3. Manta Pink Hairbrush, goop, $30
    Manta Manta Pink Hairbrush goop, $30
    SHOP NOW
SHOP SKIN CARE

Recommended Reading

My Sister: Oleema and Kalani Miller