Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP

New Beauty Editor Obsessions for October

Published on: October 11, 2022

hero

Photo courtesy of Sandra Semburg

What’s new in beauty always excites us, but this month is super loaded: There’s a foamy, whipped cold-cream cleanser; a skin device from the makers of the beloved Theragun; deep lip tints for fall; hair miracles; and even a new deodorant. And sunscreen in October? Yes and yes.

Jean Godfrey-June

Jean Godfrey-June

executive beauty director

1. Is it strange to be raving about sunscreen in October? It is not. I wear it (mineral-only for me) practically every day of the year; sunscreen is still by far the most effective wrinkle cream the world has to offer. This one for face comes in a thick, milk-colored glass pump bottle, and it’s truly next-level. It feels like the silkiest, most nourishing serum on your skin, and it turns out to be the silkiest, most nourishing serum for your skin: It’s made with organic sea buckthorn, jojoba, squalane, pea peptides, and green tea and chebula extracts for firming, smoothing, moisturizing, and free radical fighting. Plus, it protects with non-nano, MADE SAFE–certified zinc.

2. True Botanicals Skin Barrier Sun Shield SPF 30, goop, $65
    True Botanicals Skin Barrier Sun
    Shield SPF 30
    goop, $65
    SHOP NOW

1. This one’s for the body—and the sleek, chic pump makes it the easiest-to-use body sunscreen of all time, especially brilliant on a counter near the door so you can grab a little on your way out—but it’s so smooth and serum-like that it really works for the face, too. The sunscreen part is, again, non-nano zinc, and it’s been blended with nourishing snow mushroom, squalane, jojoba, and aloe. It feels like a great body moisturizer—because it is.

2. Humanrace Ozone Body Protection Cream SPF 30, goop, $52
    Humanrace Ozone Body Protection Cream SPF 30 goop, $52
    SHOP NOW

1. I love a stain, especially this time of year. It makes me think of eating blackberries by the side of the road (on a hot day) and the way your lips and cheeks look after a fast run (on a chillier one). And a crayon feels like fun, not “makeup.” This one—I love Heart, which merges a bit of brick red with that natural, you-but-better flush, and Rebel, which delivers a full fall blackberry—is creamy and moisturizing with coconut and baobab-seed oil. It is brilliantly easy to find in your bag (the crayon is white, with a dab of color on the end, as if it had been dipped into paint), and the semimatte texture works beautifully as a quick stain for lips and cheeks. It also makes a fantastic lip liner and, applied more forcefully, a gorgeous lipstick. It’s plastic-free and zero-waste, and the pigments are made from ingredients like beetroot and cranberry—so fall.

2. Ere Perez Coco Crayon, goop, $26
    Ere Perez Coco Crayon goop, $26
    SHOP NOW

1. The second I opened this, I couldn’t wait to try it: It’s like the foamiest, creamiest whipped cream, with little bits of grit throughout for gentle exfoliation. I smoothed it on and it took me…back somewhere. The cooling, exhilarating clean feeling on my skin—and the way it takes everything off—reminded me of whipped cold-cream cleansers when I was a teenager. Except it’s much lighter and fluffier, and it leaves your skin so soft and moisturized after you splash it off, you won’t believe it. It makes the best transition—from day to night, from party to bed—and if you’ve had the longest, most frustrating day, leave it on for five minutes instead of washing right away. It makes me feel like a new person.

2. Alpyn Beauty Juneberry & Collagen Hydrating Cream Cleanser, goop, $39
    Alpyn Beauty Juneberry & Collagen Hydrating Cream Cleanser goop, $39
    SHOP NOW
Megan O’Neill, associate beauty director

Megan O’Neill

associate beauty director

1. During New York Fashion Week, leggy, aloof models flood downtown Manhattan, moseying down the street sipping a cappuccino, perching on someone’s West Village townhouse steps to make a call or read a rumpled paperback, slouching against buildings while catching up with model friends. Whatever ordinary thing it is they’re doing, they look incredible, especially when their makeup from the last runway is a little lived-in, a little faded. I saw one model smoothing off gobs of glitter that had been painted on as lipstick with the back of her hand, leaving behind a sparkly, perfect mellowed-down sheen, and I had to replicate it the next day. I did it with this shimmer-shot liquid lip balm the color of moonbeams. It bathes my lips in cushiony moisture that lasts for hours (it’s made with mango and grape-seed oil), smells and feels faintly minty, and makes me feel model-off-duty sleek.

2. RÓEN Kiss My Liquid Lip Balm, goop, $26
    RÓEN Kiss My Liquid Lip Balm goop, $26
    SHOP NOW

1. Here’s what this next-level clean deodorant—it smells like a redwood forest and comes in a cute cranberry-colored ribbed flask—can get a person through: a sweaty early-morning rooftop yoga session at Alo, a day of work, and a daylong wedding celebration. The latter—my brother-in-law’s wedding—involved first snapping photos at the Bowery with the gorgeous groom and bride, then witnessing their nuptials at City Hall, sipping celebratory mezcal margaritas and feasting on a skyscraping seafood tower at Temple Court (the incredible restaurant inside the gorgeous Beekman hotel—you must go), and dancing at the after-party in a dingy metal bar off Broadway in Williamsburg. Through it all, the Beautycounter was an odor-annihilating secret weapon. Note: The creamy blend of coconut oil and shea butter doesn’t streak silky wedding-guest getups, either, and it fits in a purse if you’re convinced you’ll need touch-ups (I did not).

2. Beautycounter Clean Deo in Crisp Sequoia, goop, $31
    Beautycounter Clean Deo goop, $31
    SHOP NOW

1. It’s one of those perverse-universe things that my hair somehow looks its best—floaty, beachy, effortless curls—either right before bed or when I’m running random not-cool errands, so it’s unappreciated (or often not even seen) by anyone else. But at last, I’ve cracked the formula: I work a half-dropper of this shine-boosting treatment through my (dry) curls on Sunday morning and go about my business as the frizz-smoothing blend of omega-rich sea buckthorn and plumeria oils does its work all day.

2. goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Restore + Shine Hair Serum, goop, $55/$44 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOPGLOW Restore + Shine Hair Serum goop, $55/$44 with subscription
    SHOP NOW

1. After dinner, when my one-and-a-half-year-old’s constant demands have ceased, I take a looooong shower and wash away the week with this shampoo from Grown Alchemist. The “strengthening” means it’s for anyone who has damage from heat styling, chemical treatments, or being a water baby all summer and anyone who has dry hair that can’t get enough moisture (me). The creamy biotin-and-baobab-oil formula is nourishing, split-end smoothing, and incredible at sweeping away product buildup that weighs down my curls.

2. Grown Alchemist Strengthening – Shampoo 0.2, goop, $49
    Grown Alchemist Strengthening – Shampoo 0.2 goop, $49
    SHOP NOW

1. The conditioner by the same name is a miracle, transforming knots into silky-soft kinks that easily allow a detangling brush to glide through. It smells like a spring garden—rosemary and lavender—and the blend of botanicals and smoothing quinoa oil is pure magic for shine and gently mussed texture. My good-hair moments are finally available—on command.

2. Grown Alchemist Strengthening – Conditioner 0.2, goop, $49
    Grown Alchemist Strengthening – Conditioner 0.2 goop, $49
    SHOP NOW

1. Nothing makes you look better than getting actual sleep, but a close second is the addition of thick, fluttery, face-defining lashes. If you’re like me and mascara isn’t your thing, this lash and brow serum that’s clinically proven to thicken hair is a miracle. Smooth it onto your lashes (and brows—though mine verge on bushy, so I don’t go there) and the blend of keratin-boosting biotin, polyphenol-rich red water algae, castor oil, and more goes to work thickening, fortifying, and enriching. Apply it morning and night and prepare to be blown away by the fringy, fluttery transformation—and how a stealthy touch of serum can approximate the look of eight hours of fantasy sleep.

2. Augustinus Bader The Eyebrow & Lash Enhancing Serum, goop, $150
    Augustinus Bader The Eyebrow & Lash Enhancing Serum goop, $150
    SHOP NOW
Brianna Peters, associate beauty editor

Brianna Peters

associate beauty editor

After getting the incredible Red Carpet Facial at New York’s Tracie Martyn salon—there was microcurrent, microdermabrasion, LED light, and oxygen mist—I glowed like an actual goddess, and I wanted more. When I heard that the makers of Theragun—the much-obsessed-over percussive-massage devices that have pretty much invented a new way to relax sore muscles—were coming out with a device for skin, I jumped at the chance to try it. It did not disappoint: It comes with six attachments: three that use different percussive techniques to firm, smooth, and lift your skin; one with microcurrent; one that uses blue, red, and infrared LED light; and one that works as a massaging cleansing brush. Not unlike (and similar in cost to) a fancy facial, the results are noticeable afterward—my skin is firmer, smoother, more

1. sculpted, and absolutely radiant. What’s great about the TheraFace is you use it for eight minutes a day (it will beep to let you know you’ve reached the maximum time), but you get serious long-term benefits, too. My favorite routine starts with the cleansing attachment (it vibrates). Then I do microcurrent and then the percussive massage, which has the side benefit of soothing the everyday tightness and soreness I get from clenching my jaw. I have literally never felt anything better. I love it so much, I keep it right next to my computer so I can massage away my day (like after I’m done writing this).

2. Therabody TheraFace PRO, goop, $399
    Therabody TheraFace PRO goop, $399
    SHOP NOW

1. If you want to feel like you’ve draped every inch of your body in the softest cashmere blanket, use this. Made with hyaluronic acid, wild chamomile, jasmine, and something called seaflower complex, it’s a soft, milky gel-cream that deeply moisturizes my skin and gives me the best healthy-looking sheen. It absorbs instantly, so you don’t have to wait to put your clothes on—it’s body-smoothing magic.

2. Saint Jane Beauty Hydrabloom Body Silk, goop, $48
    Saint Jane Hydrabloom Body Silk goop, $48
    SHOP NOW

1. Tata Harper’s new exfoliating cleanser does an amazing job of polishing your skin, but super sensitive people (like me) need to know how mysteriously gentle and cushiony it is. Ultrafine rice powder, cranberry enzymes, and nourishing oils are the star ingredients, and somehow they freshen and clear my skin, leaving it smoother, brighter, and more luminous—with zero redness (something that never happens). I use it two or three times a week, and I love how my skin looks; my favorite treatment, Furtuna Skin’s biphase oil, also sinks in better after I use the Superkind. Bonus: The signature green-and-gold bottle looks so cool in my bathroom.

2. Tata Harper Refining Cleanser, goop, $88
    Tata Harper Refining Cleanser goop, $88
    SHOP NOW
Camila Michaels, assistant beauty editor

Camila Michaels

assistant beauty editor

1. I generally turn a blind eye when my boyfriend watches his favorite ’80s and ’90s rom-coms. It’s not that I don’t like them; I’m just more of a documentary/biopic girl. But this year, I’m suddenly totally hooked: the crewnecks and baggy jeans, and the hair! The hair especially, and My Best Friend’s Wedding and Dirty Dancing in particular. Thick, glossy, and curly, it’s all I want right now. Enter this brilliant new ultrathin long curling wand: I split my hair into sections, gently wrap each section around the base of the curler, hold it there for a few seconds, then move to the next section until all my hair is curled. Then I run my fingers through my hair a few times. The curls look gorgeously natural, feel so soft, and last all day, even through a windy When Harry Met Sally–New York type of day.

2. GHD Hair Thin Wand, goop, $199
    GHD Hair Thin Wand goop, $199
    SHOP NOW

1. Most days, I don’t wear makeup—but especially on Sundays. If I’ve been out late the night before (it happens), my puffier-than-usual face and tired eyes need a pick-me-up. Here’s my new, absolutely foolproof strategy: Before falling into bed, I warm a few drops of this serum between my hands and smooth it on. (I drink a tall glass of water, too.) The morning after, I smooth on a second dose. The beautiful, nourishing rose, myrrh, jasmine, sweet orange, and ylang-ylang oils sink into my skin—along with rock samphire, polyglucuronic acid, organic prickly pear, and glycoin—and leave a gorgeous, dewy no-need-to-reapply-anything glow that lasts all day. I show up after my Sunday-morning walk to Harvest Kitchen on the Upper West Side for cinnamon French toast and ricotta pancakes, and not only have people stopped saying, “You look tired”; someone almost always asks me why my skin looks so good.

2. de Mamiel Fatigue Fix, goop, $150
    de Mamiel Fatigue Fix goop, $150
    SHOP NOW

1. My best friend is one of those lucky people with an effortlessly full, totally natural, bountifully bouncy head of hair; she wakes up after 10 hours of sleep and each strand falls gracefully over her shoulders, a look that would take me a four-hour-long blowout to achieve. But after discovering this shampoo, I now transform my own thin, straight hair, adding texture, shine, volume, and body. Made with moisturizing provitamin B5, conditioning cationic hyaluronic acid, protective sunflower sprout and tara extracts, and nourishing camellia and larch extracts, it’s the foundation of a new routine that leaves my hair with noticeably more oomph, not to mention silky, velvety-smooth texture. Some days I wake up, look at my hair, and can’t really believe it.

2. Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo, goop, $60
    Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo goop, $60
    SHOP NOW
More Beauty Editors’ Favorites

Related Reading

More Questions?

Contact the beauty concierge team at [email protected] and they’ll get back to you with answers (good ones).

Members

Threads

Back