Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 1
100 XP
hero

What’s in My Weekend Bag to…Brooklyn

New York City smells like a lot of things—the dim sum as you’re sauntering down Doyers Street on a lazy Sunday, the soft perfume of woodland azaleas springing up around Little Island, the pleasant brininess of the breeze coming off the beach in Dumbo—but for clean skin-care founder Asia Grant, it has a distinct signature scent. “Summer in the city smells like warmth, scandal, and mischief,” says the Philadelphia-based Grant, who was living in Brooklyn when she dreamed up Redoux—a gorgeous line of botanical skin care and candles—with her college best friend and cofounder, Alejandro Cuevas. “That’s what we try to capture in our scents. We started the line because scent is such a powerful way to remember beautiful moments and places—it’s storytelling.”

Indeed, anyone who picks up the brand’s chunky turmeric body soap is almost instantly obsessed with its fresh bergamot-geranium-ginger fragrance, which blooms beautifully in a steamy shower. (The milky, coral-colored bar also lathers like a dream, leaving skin plumped and pampered, and the bar itself lasts and lasts.)

When she’s headed back to Brooklyn for a visit, Grant doubles down on turmeric, packing both the soap and a turmeric latte powder, along with a full bath routine, easy glow-boosting skin care, and lots of shoes. Here, her packing list—plus her can’t-miss places.

How I Make Any Hotel Room Better:

1. Slip White Queen Pillow Case, goop, $89
    Slip White Queen Pillow Case goop, $89
    SHOP NOW

“I always bring a silk pillowcase. I stayed in this fancy hotel without it once, and I woke up creased, and my hair was not good. I don’t care how nice the sheets are—I can’t live without my silk pillowcase. It’s the first thing in my bag.”

2. goop Beauty G.Tox Detox 5 Salt Bath Soak, goop, $40
    goop Beauty G.Tox Detox 5 Salt Bath Soak goop, $40
    SHOP NOW

“I love a good bath, and I really love the G.Tox soak. It’s so deluxe and travel-friendly. I wrap myself in a big plush robe afterward—another favorite thing about staying in a hotel.”

3. goop Beauty G.Tox Ultimate Dry Brush, goop, $25
    goop Beauty G.Tox Ultimate Dry Brush goop, $25
    SHOP NOW

“I bring a dry brush. I do it before getting into the bath—my skin likes feeling all that warmness, and it’s also like, Yay, I’m getting to be very present in my body.”

4. Redoux Turmeric Bar Soap, goop, $16
    Redoux Turmeric Bar Soap goop, $16
    SHOP NOW

“My skin is sensitive to hard, mineral-heavy water, and my turmeric soap helps—it’s made with moisturizing shea, gently exfoliating rose clay, and brightening turmeric. You feel clean but not in a sterilized, too clean way.”

5. Golde Original Turmeric Latte Blend, goop, $29
    GOLDE Original Turmeric Latte Blend goop, $29
    SHOP NOW

Trinity Mouzon Wofford, the founder of GOLDE, is the love of my life—we text and have funny little founder chitchats—and she makes the best turmeric latte powder. I drink it every morning, and it helps balance my life out.”

Best Haircut (and What I Bring to Keep It Looking Great):

Beauty Supply hair salon in NYC

Photo courtesy of Beauty Supply hair salon in NYC

“My hairstylist is Shelby Samaria—she’s such a Brooklyn It girl. Her appointments book up faster than clothing drops, and she’s the global styling director of Bread hair care. She has me on a pretty strict hair regimen of hydrating products and oils, so I bring leave-in cream for shine, detangling mist, argan oil (a pea-size amount smooths my whole head, and I also use it on my cuticles), and a Mason Pearson brush to distribute some of the oil from my scalp to my dry ends.”

1. goop Picks

2. Augustinus Bader The Leave-In Hair Treatment, goop, $50
    Augustinus Bader The Leave-In Hair Treatment goop, $50
    SHOP NOW
  3. Rahua Hydration Detangler + UV Barrier, goop, $34
    Rahua Hydration Detangler + UV Barrier goop, $34
    SHOP NOW
  4. Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oil Light, goop, $50
    Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oil Light goop, $50
    SHOP NOW

My Hotel-Room Skin Routine:

“I have dry skin, and when I’m traveling, the goal is to bring along a very simple routine to maintain glow. I like nonfoaming cleansing creams that gently remove makeup, and I love hyaluronic acid—I make my own since we work with raw materials, and I use it on my body, too. I brighten with a really great vitamin C and protect my skin with a high-quality moisturizing sunscreen. I’m trying to make my skin care as Black-owned as I can.”

1. goop Picks

2. Okoko Beauté Majestique Cleanser, goop, $116
    Okoko Beauté Majestique Cleanser goop, $116
    SHOP NOW
  3. goop Beauty GOOGPLOW 20% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Acid Glow Serum, goop, $125/$112 with subscription
    goop Beauty GOOGPLOW 20% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Acid Glow Serum goop, $125/$112 with subscription
    SHOP NOW
  4. EleVen Unrivaled Sun Serum SPF 35, goop, $50
    EleVen Unrivaled Sun Serum SPF 35 goop, $50
    SHOP NOW

Best brunch:

Dimes

“It’s embarrassing because I always order the same thing. I’ve never had pozole like theirs. I need their matcha because they blend it with ginger; I don’t even care how much it costs. And I’m good all day when I get the earth tacos.”

Easy Makeup:

“I like a cream blush that I can sweep over my cheeks and eyes and also use as lip color for a day-to-night situation. I also love nude lip gloss.”

goop Picks

1. Kosas Wet Lip Oil, goop, $22
    Kosas Wet Lip Oil goop, $22
    SHOP NOW
  2.  Tata Harper Vitamin-Infused Cream Blush, goop, $42
    Tata Harper Vitamin-Infused Cream Blush goop, $42
    SHOP NOW

Favorite Museum:

Museum

The Noguchi Museum

“The art is whimsical and philosophical—and a significant visual inspiration for Redoux.”

The Outfit:

“Half my bag is shoes. For a weekend, I bring four pairs. I go for classic black boots that I shine before I leave, and I love white sneakersVeja, Nike x sacais collabs. I keep them pristine. And I can’t not pack an oversize trench coat. I can run errands in it all day, and it’s still cute later when I’m out, too.”

goop Picks

1. Legres Model 18 Chelsea High Boots, goop, $790
    Legres Model 18 Chelsea High Boots goop, $790
    SHOP NOW
  2. Veja Nova Sneakers, goop, $105
    Veja Nova Sneakers goop, $105
    SHOP NOW

Worth the Pilgrimage

Peoples Wine

“I just love their biodynamic natural wines.”

THE CLEAN BEAUTY SHOP

Members