Royal Challengers Bangalore
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

Match Info
MatchDC vs RCB, 27th Match, Indian Premier League 2022
DateSaturday, April 16, 2022
Time7:30 PM
VenueWankhede Stadium, Mumbai

Delhi Capitals Squad

Rishabh Pant (c & wk), Prithvi Shaw, David Warner, Lalit Yadav, Rovman Powell, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Sarfaraz Khan, Kuldeep Yadav, Mustafizur Rahman, Khaleel Ahmed, Mandeep Singh, Srikar Bharat, Tim Seifert, Lungi Ngidi, Ashwin Hebbar, Mitchell Marsh, Praveen Dubey, Anrich Nortje, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Chetan Sakariya, Ripal Patel, Yash Dhull, Vicky Ostwal

Royal Challengers Bangalore Squad

Faf du Plessis (c), Dinesh Karthik (wk), Anuj Rawat, Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell, Shahbaz Ahmed, Suyash Prabhudessai, Wanindu Hasaranga, Akash Deep, Mohammed Siraj, Josh Hazlewood, Siddarth Kaul, David Willey, Sherfane Rutherford, Karn Sharma, Jason Behrendorff, Chama V Milind, Rajat Patidar, Mahipal Lomror, Finn Allen, Aneeshwar Gautam

Addicted's SIGNATURE

Addicted

Live Life In Process.
OP
Addicted
Super Moderator

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 6
245 XP
The Overview

Injuries and unavailability of frontline players have hit both Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Capitals quite hard this season like it has with a few other teams. It has resulted in both trying to paper over the cracks with tweaks to some of their strategies but it hasn't been enough, and has left both teams with bigger questions to answer which could dictate their overall season.

With lack of adequate replacements, Delhi Capitals have found it more pressing to get over the unavailability of Mitchell Marsh and Anrich Nortje. The former was to play a key part in the top order, as well as chip in with overs, but without him the batting has worn thin so far. Rishabh Pant has sometimes played that role too, but to little avail.

However, in what comes as a big boost ahead of the game against RCB, the imminent return of Mitchell Marsh ought to get them their best eleven on the field finally, and they'd be hoping he gets into groove quickly.

Similarly, RCB felt the pinch when Harshal Patel was rendered unavailable due to a bereavement. The death overs struggle was accentuated in his absence with RCB's pacers already going at an economy rate of 13.33 in this phase. They tried to spread Wanindu Hasaranga's overs through the death overs in the absence of Harshal, but it drew a blank in the face of negative match-ups. This remains a key area, along with the form of Faf du Plessis and Virat Kohli.

But just like DC, they too are set to welcome back that key part of their puzzle with Harshal likely to return.

But both have found unlikely resurgences on other fronts - Kuldeep Yadav and Khaleel Ahmed for Delhi Capitals and Dinesh Karthik as a finisher for RCB - that has added weight on the positive side. RCB also found more such positives in debutant Suyash Prabhudesai's free-flowing batting against CSK, alongside Shahbaz Ahmed's cameo. Will they be able to similarly neutralize their other negatives too?

When: Saturday, April 16 at 19:30 IST

Where: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

What to expect:

Four out of the five games at the Wankhede stadium in IPL 2022 have been won by teams chasing. There has also been distinct assistance for seamers, particularly early in the first innings.

IPL Head to Head: DC 10 - RCB 16

Team Watch

Delhi Capitals

Tactics and Matchups:
David Warner has eight fifties and a hundred against RCB while Rishabh Pant has four fifties in 11 innings against them. The duo, along with Prithvi Shaw, are shouldering a major load of DC's batting and will be the key for DC. Both Pant and Shaw have a strike rate in excess of 150 against Mohammad Siraj but have fallen to have five times in total.

Probable XI: David Warner, Prithvi Shaw, Mitchell Marsh, Rishabh Pant (c/wk), Rovman Powell, Lalit Yadav, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Mustafizur Rahman, Khaleel Ahmed

Tactics and Matchups:
There are a couple of battles centred around spin that could play a big part in the game. Glenn Maxwell has dismissed Pant twice in just 12 balls, while Faf du Plessis has a negative match-up against Axar Patel, falling to him thrice and a strike rate of just 110 against the leftie. These two battles could well dictate how the batting innings go for the respective teams.

Probable XI: Faf du Plessis, Anuj Rawat, Virat Kohli, Shahbaz Ahmed, Glenn Maxwell, Suyash Prabhudesai, Dinesh Karthik, Wanindu Hasaranga, Harshal Patel, Mohammad Siraj, Josh Hazlewood

Did you know

- RCB have conceded the most sixes so far (54) while DC have conceded the fewest (24)

- Prithvi Shaw has dominated the Powerplay phase like no other batter this season, having a strike rate of 167 and averaging 112

What they said:

The ball swings at the Wankhede Stadium and therefore we have been waiting to play there. We are excited and hopefully, we can utilize the conditions, swing the ball well and take wickets - Khaleel Ahmed, DC Pacer

Squads:

Delhi Capitals
Squad: Prithvi Shaw, David Warner, Rishabh Pant(w/c), Lalit Yadav, Rovman Powell, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Sarfaraz Khan, Kuldeep Yadav, Mustafizur Rahman, Khaleel Ahmed, Mandeep Singh, Srikar Bharat, Tim Seifert, Lungi Ngidi, Ashwin Hebbar, Mitchell Marsh, Praveen Dubey, Anrich Nortje, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Chetan Sakariya, Ripal Patel, Yash Dhull, Vicky Ostwal

Royal Challengers Bangalore Squad: Faf du Plessis(c), Anuj Rawat, Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell, Shahbaz Ahmed, Suyash Prabhudessai, Dinesh Karthik(w), Wanindu Hasaranga, Akash Deep, Mohammed Siraj, Josh Hazlewood, Siddarth Kaul, David Willey, Sherfane Rutherford, Karn Sharma, Jason Behrendorff, Chama V Milind, Rajat Patidar, Mahipal Lomror, Finn Allen, Aneeshwar Gautam

Addicted's SIGNATURE

Addicted

Live Life In Process.
OP
Addicted
Super Moderator

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 6
245 XP
Delhi Capitals have won the toss and have opted to field

Rishabh Pant:
We will like to bowl first. The wicket is looking on the drier side, we want to make use of it. Mitch comes in for Sarfaraz Khan. We have not decided yet, maybe he'll bat three and I'll bat four. Keep believing in the process and let's take one match at a time and give our 100%. Hopefully we can capitalise on the shorter side.

JUST IN: Mitchell Marsh receives his DC cap from skipper Rishabh Pant.

Josh Hazlewood: It's almost the same to me (playing for CSK and then RCB), I have been with the RCB boys for probably a week, the atmosphere has been great, it's been relaxed and have had plenty of fine. Just played one game, a high-scoring affair, was watching the fi8rst few games, the new ball was doing a bit and it's a shame to have missed those matches. I'm still sticking to my strengths (when asked about the difference in the Indian and Pakistan wickets), the wickets out there didn't help my style of bowling, but bowling in different conditions is quite a challenge, the last season was fantastic, obviously I missed the first half of the season and it was great to get an opportunity in the second half. It was a really good few months with the World Cup being held in similar conditions.

Khaleel Ahmed: (Different approach this season?) Nothing is different, same attitude, same goal, same target towards my team and for myself as well. We (left-arm bowlers) usually spend good time together, some fun outside the game as well. Fizzy is also a nice guy. We all are having a good time together on the field as well as off the field. Good bounce, the ball is swinging here; in Wankhede I am expecting some swing tonight and have some benefit. My family and fans are watching me, wishing me and I am expecting some good performance tonight.

Pitch Report | Matthew Hayden: The ground is really small. That's why sides love to chase here and have done so successfully. There's plenty of grass on this wicket, but it's very dry which means that the spinners - Hasaranga and Kuldeep Yadav - are in the game. No runs are safe when it comes to setting a total here.

For the Capitals, Prithvi Shaw has been brilliant upfront and even Warner notched up a half-ton in the previous outing as Delhi thrashed KKR by 44 runs. With Mitch Marsh expected to slot into the XI, DC's team-balance will be strengthened significantly. Their bowlers have been good in all four games. While the Fizz has been economical, the other left-armers - Kuldeep Yadav and Khaleel Ahmed have been amongst wickets. Can Delhi join the rest of the pack and get to six points? Stay tuned for toss and team updates..

18:30 Local Time, 13:00 GMT, 18:30 IST: It's a double-header Super Saturday. Hello and a warm welcome to today's second encounter. It's Delhi Capitals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore. RCB are one of the six teams on six points and a win tonight will take them to the top-three. They come into this match on the back of a 23-run loss at the hands of Chennai. In the absence of Harshal Patel, they conceded 156 runs in the last ten overs. The Purple Cap winner of the previous season has rejoined the squad and should be available for selection today. Another area where Bangalore would look to improve is their scoring-rate in the powerplay.

Addicted's SIGNATURE

Addicted

Live Life In Process.
OP
Addicted
Super Moderator

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 6
245 XP
Faf du Plessis: The pitch looks a little bit drier than anticipated. Chennai had two quality batters, putting up a massive partnership there, not looking too much further than that. Breaking up the overs in the middle is something we spoke about and just the combination of the bowlers. It's an obvious thing when you come here, you look at the short side and the big side, that's always tactically how well or how badly you play the short and big boundaries. Tonight's going to be no different. Harshal Patel is back which is great. Very sorry about his sister passing away. It's great to have him back in the side. He's an experienced X-factor player for us. Akash Deep goes out of the side.

Teams:

(Playing XI): Faf du Plessis(c), Anuj Rawat, Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell, Shahbaz Ahmed, Dinesh Karthik(w), Suyash Prabhudessai, Wanindu Hasaranga, Harshal Patel, Josh Hazlewood, Mohammed Siraj

Delhi Capitals (Playing XI): Prithvi Shaw, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Rishabh Pant(w/c), Rovman Powell, Lalit Yadav, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Mustafizur Rahman, Khaleel Ahmed

Addicted's SIGNATURE

Addicted

Live Life In Process.
OP
Addicted
Super Moderator

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 6
245 XP
The last four overs went for 69 and then Mitch Marsh's uncomfortable stay. In a game of thin margins, DC allowed RCB too much leverage. RCB are the third team to join the 8-point club. The minor blip against CSK might well have been an aberration. But what isn't an exaggeration is that Super Sunday awaits us. Two more enthralling games on your platter to satiate your cricketing fangs. Till then, this is Kumar Abhisekh Das wishing Ee Sala Cup Namde to the RCB fans on behalf of Abhinand Raghavendran, Pradeep Krishnamurthy and Siva!

Dinesh Karthik, Man of the Match:
But I must admit that I have a bigger goal. I have been working really hard. I have been trying to do everything to be a part of the Indian team. Depends on the bowler, whoever is bowling well. I respected Kuldeep as he was bowling well. When you are batting at the death, you try and get under the ball more while hitting. You make me sound like a serial killer (laughs when asked as to how was he so calm and hit them so hard at the same time). I must admit positions and calmness comes from preparations. Apart from that staying in the moment sounds cliched but it works. He (Shahbaz) is a very special player, I am very sure he is going to do special things. He can hit a ball a long long way. And he backs himself which I like about him.

Faf du Plessis: I think it is important from the top-order perspective. Batting again was a little tricky. But Maxi put the pressure back on them. But then two guys in form did well for us. Today was a bit about some planning. We haven't been as good as we would have wanted at the death. The bowlers were fantastic today. Most teams can fall away quickly seeing so much of dew. But we stuck to our plans. Nice thing to have experience. When it is going well or not, you can reinforce the trust. DK is in the form of his life. Obviously lucky to have him in our side. I would like to have guys tell me before the game if there would be dew or not. Maybe on tired wickets we will bat first. Just one game at a time. It is important to stay calm and composed.

Josh Hazlewood: Tonight was probably a wicket where in the first six it was lovely for batting with the new ball. As the game went on, we bowled really well. We changed our pace throughout and took it wide away from the batters' arc, that seemed to work tonight. It's just about adapting to conditions. It (varying pace) is hugely important for me, just adds another string to the bow. I know I can hit the length whenever I want but it's just about having that change of pace and sequencing it within the over to the right effect, sometimes you can get it wrong but tonight it worked really well. Dot balls are huge in T20, dots are really when the batters feel the pressure. If we can get back-to-back dots, that's huge for us. Certainly (working on yorkers), we probably tried that a lot last game at DY. Some went over the boundary, depends on the conditions. Sometimes it rewards yorkers, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight wasn't for that and we adapted. I missed the first few games, but since coming in, the atmosphere has been great. Plenty of energy on the field with Maxwell, Virat and Faf. It's a great, young side, I feel like we move well on the field and cut down those twos, it's good fun.

Rishabh Pant | Losing captain: I think Warner batted beautifully and gave us every chance to win the match. Can't blame Marsh, it was his first match and looked a bit rusty, but we could have done better in the middle overs. The wicket got better and better as the innings went along, that over from Mustafizur was a game-changer for us. I think we could bowl according to our plans, but we were under the pump, the way DK batted in the later overs was commendable. One boundary length was shorter and every batter was targeting it, so I changed Kuldeep's end and he bowled really well. We will have to talk about doing better as a team, we'll have to learn from our mistakes in the coming games.

Addicted's SIGNATURE

Addicted

Live Life In Process.
OP
Addicted
Super Moderator

0%

Status

Rep

Bits

Years of Service

LEVEL 6